The entire country has been shocked by the extent of child sexual abuse that has been uncovered in the UK over the past few years. For decades, powerful people were allowed to abuse children with impunity and evidence of their crimes was covered up. Even more shockingly, this abuse carries on today. In Rotherham, Oxford and my own constituency of Rochdale, we have seen the appalling scale of the abuse that continues to destroy lives and stain our country.
I have used my role in Parliament to bring this issue to the forefront of public debate, and the campaign has accomplished much in the past year. But there is much more to be done to get justice for survivors and to ensure our children are protected from abusers in the future.
I am campaigning for:
- A full, open and transparent government inquiry into historic child sexual abuse.
- Justice for victims of child abuse, past and present.
- Changing the way victims of child sexual abuse are dealt with in the justice system.
- Changing police attitudes towards child sexual abuse.
- Introducing mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse.
If you agree that child sex abuse must be tackled and support my campaign, please sign below.